First, we went to Danxia Mountain, near Shaoguan in northern Guangdong Province. This national park is famous for its suggestive rock formations that resemble the yin and yang of human anatomy. It's also great for hiking! Chinese people love to tell us to "Be careful," and they laugh when we respond, "Xiao xin!"
After we visited Danxia Shan, the neighboring scandalous sex museum, and a Buddhist temple over 1,000 years old, we took a train back to Guangzhou. The next day, we journeyed to Foshan! I liked Foshan, because you can see both old and modern China. We visited a Taoist temple that has been turned into a martial arts museum, and we looked at homes from the Qing Dynasty.
We saw people burning paper goods to send to their ancestors in their afterlife. You can burn paper food and money, and apparently you can buy paper cell phones in Dongmen!
Old and new Foshan
Torn down Foshan
We found a wall made of doors. One door has the character "fu" on it. The character means "wealth" or "fortune," and Chinese people often put the sign upside down on their doors. It's supposed to invite wealth into their homes.
We found an alleyway lined by homes from the Qing Dynasty, some of which are falling down. I like this door, because the grooves fit into the wall. It's almost impossible to break through it!
But finally, after a weekend of many sights and four trips to McDonalds, it was time to return home. I'm glad I saw more of Guangdong Province, and I'm excited about traveling to its neighboring province called Fujian this week!
No comments:
Post a Comment