Kate, Lori, Wei, and I went to the Temple of 10,000 Buddhas in Hong Kong a couple of weeks ago. Except for the beaches and mountains, this has been my favorite place in Hong Kong so far. It was only built in the 1950s, but the place keeps adding Buddhas so that it actually has about 13 million of them!

When we first arrived, we posed in front of the entrance, admired the beautiful flowers and turtles. and hiked up some stairs.
But no! That wasn't the entrance to the Temple of 10,000 Buddhas! A man informed Wei in Cantonese that we were traipsing around a funeral home. Good to know! We exited the place feeling embarrassed, but soon we found the real steps to the temple.


I liked the different facial expressions on the Buddhas. I described them as "angry," "anorexic," "gluttonous," "witch-like," and so on. Here's a wise man rocking out his eyebrows and Kate imitating a witch.

At the top, we found the temple that was full of Chinese imagery. Wei told us the origin of the dragon - it's actually a bunch of different animals combined into one! The dragon has a snake's body, fish scales, chicken feet, catfish whiskers, and so on. Here are all the Buddhas inside.
Kate told me to take a picture of the McDonalds offering to the ancestors.

I also liked the statue of the slit pants baby. Babies in China don't really wear diapers...

And then it was time to leave! Goodbye Buddhas!
1 comment:
Nice. I want to go!
Post a Comment