Tuesday, November 4, 2008

November 4, 2008 (or November 5th if you're in China)

Waiting for the election results from halfway across the world has me on tenterhooks. As the results slowly trickle in, I rush back to my office after each class to read the news.

Even when I have an off-hour, I still refresh the New York Times website every 5 minutes or so.

Currently, the map looks like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\11\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\QH9UN61C\StateMap507[1].jpg

I can't help remembering November 4, 2000, when I went to bed thinking that Al Gore would be President. After months of participating moral and political debates with my polar opposite friends, my man won the popular vote and the electoral college. When I awoke the next day, the news that Gore may not have won Florida flabbergasted me. Even then, I still thought that he would pull through. Thousands of hanging chads and one ridiculous Supreme Court decision later (don't even get me started on the fact that it should have been dismissed as a politcal quesition), my man, Al Gore, was out of the picture. Hello, Bush. Hello, the imperial presidency, neo-conservatism, pre-emption and a costly war, international embarassent, extremely conservative judicial appointments, faith-based initiatives, and the most polarizing president in history.

I really don't want go to lunch or Chinese class today thinking that Obama will become President, just to find out that McCain and Palin pulled through. I just can't handle it.

No comments: