Monday, October 20, 2008

settling in

I'm mentally starting to settle into Shenzhen! After hiking the mountain near my school last night, I felt bold enough to treat the park as my own. I walked onto an empty field, took advantage of the dusk, and spun in circles. I felt so calm, comfortable, and free! Naturally, when I let my world stop spinning more than it already does, I saw a Chinese couple looking at me by the dim light left in the sky. It's okay, I'm already foreign and weird. I accept this.

I also stocked my kitchen with rice, egg plant, soy sauce, and chili peppers today. Soon I'll buy rice vinegar and oyster sauce too. I'm in this for the long haul!

3 comments:

pandajerky said...

i really started to feel like i was "settling in" last week and it was GLORIOUS. glad to hear that you are feeling the same. :)

Lori said...

I love the park! Your settling in experience sounds lovely. Maybe I'll try it one day...we could all use a little spinning sometimes :)

Gretchen said...

ewwww, eggplant.

i'm glad you're settling in though! :)