Today the McDonalds cashier informed me that my 20 Yuan bill was a fake. I earnestly felt the ridges on Mao's shoulder and declared, "zhende!" to no avail. The lady would not be dissuaded! However, when I grudgingly handed her a 100 Yuan bill, she didn't even check to see if it was real. Either she felt sorry for me or she's just that good at spotting fakes?
I blame the Muslim noodle place in Alison's neighborhood for my bad currency. I'm bummed, because that place was about to become one of my favorite restaurants! Although many hole-in-the-wall places serve surprisingly delicious food, this one was special. The workers wore cute hats (but in a serious Muslim way) and spoke some strange dialect, and I merely had to point to a picture on the wall to order my food.
As a side note, I think it would be funny if you had to scratch Mao's back to see if the bill is real. "I scratch your back, you scratch mine" is so China. One teacher was shocked when I mentioned that my friend gave each of her students one American dollar as Lucky Money for Chinese New Year, because she perceived it as a bribe. She said that some teachers in China will actually bribe their students so that they will study and make the teacher look good. Luckily, I definitely don't think that this happens at my school.
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment