Thursday, December 4, 2008

Imogen Heap, all the way

Earlier tonight, I brooded a little about the fact that I had stayed home. I watched Weeds and had vague plans to study Chinese, but I had a nagging feeling that I should do do something worthwhile, like Game Night or Brian and Jess's Thursday gathering. I'm in China, so I should be doing something amazing at every second, right? But it's a good thing that I stayed home! At 9:30, someone knocked on my door. I hurriedly threw a pile of clothes into my closet before I opened the door to find the nicest Chinese police lady ever! We spent a few minutes establishing that I don't speak or understand Chinese, but she didn't know how to ask her question in English. At first I thought that she was conducting some sort of survey until she showed me what she had written in English on her clipboard:

1. Can I see your Visa
2. Can I make a copy of your Visa

AHA! I followed her out of my building and to my community's police station. They made a copy, took my photo, and asked for my phone number. I don't know why they chose to do this on a Thursday night, 3 months after I came to China, but clearly me "wasting" a night in China had a purpose. I am once again inspired to study Chinese and clean my room, which is good, right? Maybe?

Incidentally, I'm avoiding Game Night so that I don't have to see this guy named Jimmy. After last week's Game Night, he sent me texts like, "Yo sweet girl, let's watch a movie." I ignored them, so now I have to hope he's not at future game nights...Men just ruin everything.

2 comments:

pandajerky said...

yo sweet girl-

def think it was a good idea to stay in. i've had a pretty low key day myself and it was most certainly the right thing to do. besides, we'll have an awesome time pub quizzing it tomorrow YESSSS.

Mags said...

sup girl, wanna hit a club?

umm...hahahaha
i'm catching up on some of your entries, what adventures! and don't forget to loop your cell phone around your wrist next time.
I would send you reese's, but i don't think customs/US mail will let me :( but i'm looking in to it....